As our age group is starting to become the majority of big spenders, it is increasingly important for marketers to come up with new ways to sell to us effectively.
Here are some tips I would give them about selling to myself:
1. 1. I like simple commercials that get your attention and help you remember the product to research later. I absolutely cannot stand those infomercials and would never order anything from them. I feel that if the product is truly a good one, the advertisements would not need to be so complicated, cheesy, and constantly telling you what a deal you’re getting.
2. 2. Before I buy anything I try to ask myself if I really need it. I used to just buy on impulse, but I’ve found that I can buy more luxury goods if I spend less on commodities and small items that I may not need.
3. 3. I really don’t like to wait. If I purchase an item I want to be able to use it as soon as possible. Music downloads on iTunes is a perfect example of this. When I hear a song I want and can get it in seconds. Additionally, I would rather not have to put together something with a bunch of individual pieces. Yes, Ikea has stylish, inexpensive stuff, but it takes forever to put some items together. Also, if I'm ordering something online, I like to get express shipping (1-3 days). If a product I want is offering a shipping coupon for this, I'm more likely to order it.

5. I love buying products that provide a good experience and aren’t old after one use. The best examples are my iPhone and my MacBook. I use them constantly everyday and can always find new ways (through applications, updates, programs) to use them, have new experiences and be more productive.
6. I like edgier products that aren’t so mainstream. I don’t want some stuff that everyone has. I like to have my own style and also to be an early adopter of products. Once something gets so completely in style (MySpace, Ed Hardy, etc.) it just seems old and I don’t want it anymore.
7. 7. I research larger purchases in depth. My generation lives through the internet and there are a ton of consumer and expert opinions on items. When I purchased my car I looked not only at the technical specs and comparisons to other vehicles in its class, but I looked at the public opinion of the car, as well.
8. 8. I’ve over trends and fads. I’d rather have something truly innovative and useful. If a product can make like easier I will definitely buy it. Good examples of this are TiVo and Swiffer.
9. 9. I’m loyal to name brands, especially with simple commodity items. Brands I’ve grown up around and used my entire life have proved themselves to a point. Unless some seriously better product comes along, I’ll just stick to what I know and like (Tide laundry detergent, Dr. Pepper, Pillsbury cookies.) With that said, I feel like these name brands are better than a store's brand items, which I rarely purchase.
1 10. I like to see/ try stuff in person before buying it. I’m much quicker to buy clothing if I can try it on and ensure it fits. Another example is having service businesses, such as hair salons use products on me; if they like how my hair looks and feels I would definitely buy whatever hair products they styled my hair with.

0 comments:
Post a Comment